Thursday 8 July 2010

The Peace of Wild Things

Hi, it is ages since I did my last post - I'm not sure that Blogging is for me as I keep leaving huge gaps. I had great intentions of using this as a regular diary/journal, but it just isn't happening. I so enjoy reading other peoples blogs and am very inspired by some of them that I wish I could do the same for others. I found this poem on Philip Carr-Gomm's blog (philipcarrgomm.wordpress.com/) and love it


The Peace of Wild Things
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Wendell Berry

This heron is standing by some water on the Somerset Levels, I was lucky to be close enough to take this photo without a big zoom lens.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Lovely poem. :)

You commented on my blog asking which craft fairs I'll be at - they are the Newquay Tretherras School craft fair on Sat 20th Nov and the Christmas Craft Fair at Sainsbury's store in Truro on Fri 26th Nov. Hope to see you there!